Monday, April 22, 2013


Maxxis Southern Classic Mtn Bike Race #4, Stump Jump, Spartanburg, SC

Sunday, April 21st, marked the 4th race of the Maxxis Southern Classic Mtn. Bike Race Series at Stump Jump in Spartanburg, SC. I had missed the 3rd race at Tsali because I decided to race 6hrs of Warrior Creek, so I was pretty excited to be back. 
I had my friend, Jim Heckman, ride with me and made a strong effort not to scare him with my horrible driving skills. We arrived with vehicle, bodies and bikes intact, but I was a bit disappointed at how chilly it was outside. The sun was out and shining but there was a frigid breeze blowing. Hmmm...could’ve been worse, I thought...like Charleston...rainy...muddy...freezing. 
We arrived close to 10am with plenty of time to get ready and warm up. The first group was scheduled to go at 11:30am, which meant I would be starting about 15 minutes later. I soon learned that a fellow Charlotte racer was in need of shorts and was super happy that my careful OCD gear packing would come in handy (by the way, I pack back-ups for back-ups so if you ever forget anything, I probably will have an extra. Just come find me). I did a final mental check of “important items”: tube & cartridge...check, snack...check, Garmin...check (and the most important item) chapstick...check!!! 
I pedaled to the start after I finished my warm up, and to my horror, discovered that I had lost my chapstick! Oh well...the show must go on, I thought. The start consisted of a lumpy grassy field and a right turn onto a gravel road with a slight incline. We then had to cross paved road and continue in more tiresome grass before a final turn onto dirt. I was first through the bumpy grass but then my legs started to slow down (without my permission) up the gravel road. Oh great, I thought...it’s gonna be like this...my legs said “peace out”! That was when I got passed, so I was second into the woods. 
I made a handful of mistakes at this race. I took some sketchy lines over roots and up climbs that cost me here and there. Note to self: you might want to preride in the future, Dummy! My most costly mistake was taking the wrong way to the right around a tree. I was so focused on tailing first place that I didn’t see a shorter route over some logs to the left. In an instant we went from 1st and 2nd, to 4th and 5th. Ugh...really, Elsa?!?! Luckily there was a pile up later on, and I was able to slip around and gain 2nd place again. 
My entire 2nd lap was spent trying to chase down 1st place. As I was coming in from my 1st lap, she was going out for her 2nd. This would be the last time I would see her before the end of the race. She was nowhere in sight in the woods. I crossed the finish in 2nd place. 
After pics on the podium, Jim and I headed back to the car. Just as I was about to pull the door shut I see my chapstick perched on my windshield wiper! Some sweet soul had  found it for me! Hey...it’s the little things!!!

Many thanks to: TotalCyclist, Bicycle Sport, Mark Kane, Giordana, Infinit Nutrition, Meg-Art, Carolina Realty Advisors, OTR & Luke Sagur.

No comments:

Post a Comment